2018 — 2020
Imagine. Global. Youth. Pop. Culture. Now. Those six words propelled two years' worth of programming for YouTube Music's social channels, attracting over a million new followers and providing a crucial voice during the streaming platform's formative rollout. Our small group, operating under the aegis of the creative studio Work of the People, generated daily content that incorporated video, copywriting, editorial frameworks, and a distinctive design language. While the larger brand focused on promoting more mainstream acts, we primarily championed emerging and cutting-edge artists, drawn from across a range of genres and regions of the world, as the new faces of global pop culture. We also took care to share with the brand's youthful demographic key insights into music history, spotlighting important creative innovators and iconic voices for social justice.
Creative Director, Editor: Lee Harrison
Creative Strategy Lead, Editor: Terence Teh
Creative Strategy Lead, Editor: Omar Almufti
Copywriter: Adam Moerder
Art Director: Joyce Kim
Producer: Sarah Boomgaarden
Exec. Creative Director (WOTP): Wayne Wu
Editorial Director (YTM): Jesse Cohen
Exec. Brand Director (YTM): Thanh Nguyen
(1 — 13) Stills from video assets created for YOUTUBE MUSIC'S INSTAGRAM and TWITTER channels.
(1) Still from the feature "ICONIC ALBUM: ERYKAH BADU MAMA'S GUN." The "ICONIC ALBUM" series unpacked vital and influential recordings from various music genres, eras, and cultures.
(2) Still from a video package celebrating the release of the album EL MAL QUERER by ROSALÍA.
(3) Still from "NOW PLAYING — SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO," featuring the music video for "VETE" by BAD BUNNY. "NOW PLAYING" was a weekly feature that utilized data from YOUTUBE for the curation of popular music videos from specific locales around the world.
(4) Still from "NOW PLAYING — KINGSTON, JAMAICA," featuring the music video for "UPTOP BOSS" by TEEJAY.
(5) Still from the "MUSIC HISTORY: THE SUPREMES, 1967." The weekly "MUSIC HISTORY" feature combined editorialized research and YOUTUBE data to spotlight key milestones in the world of music.
(6) Still from a video package celebrating JORJA SMITH's 2019 BRIT AWARDS nomination.
(7) Still from "NOW PLAYING — LONDON, UK," featuring the music video for "18 HUNNA" by HEADIE ONE featuring DAVE.
(8) Still from "ICONIC ALBUM: KELELA TAKE ME APART."
(9) Still from "BEST OF 2019 — USA: BILLIE EILISH 'BAD GUY.'"
(10) Still from "NOW PLAYING — KYOTO: JAPAN," featuring the music video for "HARUNOHI" by AIMYON.
(11) Still from "NOW PLAYING — DUBLIN, IRELAND," featuring the music video for "3 NIGHTS" by DOMINIC FIKE.
(12) Still from "THE MUSIC VIDEO AS A WORK OF ART: 'CRANES IN THE SKY,' SOLANGE KNOWLES & ALAN FERGUSON," part of a series that highlighted groundbreaking music videos and their directors.
(13) Still from "MUSIC HISTORY: DRAKE 'HOTLINE BLING,' YOUTUBE DEBUT, 2015."