Published by The Underground Museum, in partnership with the London-based arts enterprise The Vinyl Factory, Feb Mag was the realization of an idea that began with the late artist and curator Noah Davis and his brother, the filmmaker and artist, Kahlil Joseph. What took root as a photo blog launched by the pair in 2009, manifested in print in 2017 as the official publication of The Underground Museum, the dynamic LA art space which Noah Davis co-founded in 2012 with his wife, the artist Karon Davis. Centered within the creative and cultural vortex of the museum, this first edition of Feb Mag featured work by both the Davises and Joseph and the museum’s extended network of artists including Melodie McDaniel, Martine Syms, Kerry James Marshall, Kara Walker, David Hammons, Deana Lawson, Arthur Jafa, Durimel, and Henry Taylor.
softcover, 184 pages, 9" x 12", offset printed, perfect bound
Creative Director: Lee Harrison
Editor: Myriam Ben Salah
Art Director: Adam Squires
Assistant Editor: Allison Littrell
Copy Editor: Jack Levinson
Producer (The UM): Megan Steinman
Publishers: The UM / VF
(1) JUSTEN LEROY at THE UNDERGROUND MUSEUM, 2017. Photograph by DENIRO ELLIOTT. / Collage by NOAH DAVIS, circa 2013. Courtesy: THE ESTATE OF NOAH DAVIS. A back office at THE UM, 2017. Photograph by DENIRO ELLIOTT.
(2) Installation view of "NON-FICTION," curated by NOAH DAVIS, at THE UNDERGROUND MUSEUM, 2016 — 2017, photograph by JUSTIN LUBLINER. Pictured are works by KARA WALKER, ROBERT GOBER, MARION PALFI, and KERRY JAMES MARSHALL. Courtesy: MOCA.
(3) Faux advertisement with photograph of KARON DAVIS by MELODIE McDANIEL, 2007. / Work in progress by KARON DAVIS at THE UM, 2017. Screen grabs via Instagram, @karondavis.
(4) NOAH DAVIS, collage works from the Purple Garden vision book, circa 2013. Courtesy: THE ESTATE OF NOAH DAVIS. / Page from a personal notebook. Courtesy: THE ESTATE OF NOAH DAVIS.
(5) NOAH DAVIS, UNTITLED, 2015. Copyright: THE ESTATE OF NOAH DAVIS. Courtesy: REGEN PROJECTS, Los Angeles.
(6) Sourced news articles, web posts, scanned ephemera, original writing, poems, song lyrics, and archival material, utilized to contextualize THE UNDERGROUND MUSEUM and its founder NOAH DAVIS. These materials were organized within two distinct "index" sections and printed on black, uncoated paper within the gloss pages of FEB MAG.
(7) Photographs by RUSSELL HAMILTON, featuring styling by J. SIMS, 2017. From the feature "DU-RAAAG," part of a 16-page preview edition of SON., published as an insert within FEB MAG. SON. is a media project by creative director JUSTEN LEROY.
(8) NOAH DAVIS with son MOSES, in the Purple Garden during construction, THE UNDERGROUND MUSEUM, circa 2014. Photograph by KARON DAVIS.
(9) The Purple Garden Cinema at THE UM, 2016. Photograph by ZUZANNA GERULEWICZ.
(10) and (13) Stills from ARTHUR JAFA, LOVE IS THE MESSAGE, THE MESSAGE IS DEATH, 2016. Published in FEB MAG courtesy of the artist and GAVIN BROWN'S ENTERPRISE.
(11) and (12) Photographs by NICO YOUNG, 2017. From an original 15-page photo essay for FEB MAG, entitled "ARLINGTON HEIGHTS."